Learning how to update Discord is important for a seamless experience as a user of the app. In fact, Discord updates are launched frequently to fix bugs, improve performance, and add new features.
If you’re part of Discord communities, it’s recommended to keep the app up to date on all devices to ensure the smoothest and safest experience possible. Here, you’ll find a step-by-step tutorial covering all about Discord updates, whether you’re on PC or mobile. Let’s dive right in!
Discord Update Failed Troubleshooting
Discord usually updates automatically, however, there are different factors that can often lead to a Discord update failure.
So, if you’ve found yourself stuck in an endless loop of failed updates, keep reading. Here are some things you can try on a Windows PC:
- 1. Run Discord as administrator: To do so, right-click on the Discord app and select “Run as administrator”. This can allow the Discord updater to make necessary changes to your device.
- 2. Rename the Update.exe file: Go to “
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Discord” (replacing “YourUsername” with your actual local account username). Then, right-click on the Update.exe file, rename it to UpdateX.exe, and try running Discord again (ideally as an administrator).
- 3. Disable Windows Defender: Sometimes, Windows Defender interferes with Discord updates, so disabling it temporarily can resolve the issue.
- 4. Temporarily disable your antivirus: Antivirus software can also conflict with Discord updates, so try disabling your antivirus temporarily.
- 5. Reinstall Discord and clear app data: As a last resort, uninstalling and reinstalling Discord can resolve lingering issues.
How to Update Discord on PC
For Windows users, Discord updates are typically installed automatically when you launch the app. However, if you want to ensure you’re using the most up-to-date version, follow these steps:
1. Close and Restart Discord
First, close the Discord application completely by right-clicking the Discord icon in the system tray (located at the bottom right corner of your screen) and selecting “Quit Discord.” Then, relaunch the app by double-clicking the Discord icon on your desktop or searching for “Discord” in the Start menu.
2. Check for Discord Updates
Upon reopening, the app will automatically check for updates. If a Discord update is available, the app will download and install it before fully launching. You may see an “Update” or “Checking for Updates” message during this process.
Updating Discord on Android Devices
Updating Discord on Android devices is also straightforward and can be done through the Google Play Store. Follow these steps to update Discord on your Android device:
1. Open the Google Play Store
First, open the Google Play Store on your Android device by tapping its icon.
2. Check for Discord Updates
Next, tap on the “Menu” button (represented by three horizontal lines) in the upper-left corner of the screen and select “My apps & games.”
In the “Updates” tab, look for the Discord app and click “Update“.
Updating Discord on iOS Devices
Updating the Discord app on iOS devices is easy and can be done through the App Store. On your iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
- First, open the App Store on your iOS device by tapping its icon.
- Next, tap on your profile icon in the upper-right corner of the screen to access the “Account” menu.
- Under the “Upcoming Automatic Updates” or “Available Updates” section, look for the Discord app. If an update is available, you’ll see a blue “Update” button next to the app’s name.
How Do You Update Discord?
On your computer, you can either restart the application or download the latest version directly from Discord’s official website. On mobile devices, you can update Discord through your device’s respective app store.
How Do I Check for the Latest Discord Update?
To check for the latest Discord update, you can visit Discord’s official website or go to your device’s app store and search for Discord to see if an update is available. If you’re using Discord on a PC, the application usually checks for updates automatically upon launch.
Why Can’t I Update Discord?
If you’re experiencing difficulties updating Discord, the issue could stem from various factors such as network restrictions, corrupted files, or compatibility issues with your operating system. It’s advisable to consult Discord’s support documentation or community forums for specific troubleshooting steps.
Does Discord Update Automatically on PC?
Yes, Discord generally updates automatically on PCs when you launch the application. However, if automatic updates are disabled in your settings, you may need to update manually.