If it’s been a while since you started a Discord server, chances are some channels are full of outdated or irrelevant conversations. Over time, these channels may become cluttered with messages, making it difficult to navigate or find important information for your community.
If that’s your case, this tutorial will guide you through two methods to clear Discord chat: manually and using a bot.
How to Manually Delete Messages
If you only have a few messages to delete, you can remove them manually one by one until you clear the chat entirely. It’s a simple procedure and you don’t need any bot to do it, but it’s not the quickest way to do it if you have a lot of messages to delete.
- Open Discord and navigate to the server and text channel containing the messages you want to delete.
- Hover over the message you want to delete.
- Click on the three dots icon (More Options) on the right side of the message.
- Select “Delete” from the dropdown menu.
- A confirmation dialog will appear. Click “Delete” to confirm the action.
Clear a long Chat With a Discord Bot
To clear chat messages quickly and in bulk, you’ll need to use a bot such as MEE6. We are using it for this tutorial but you can follow these steps and use another one.
Install and configure the bot
- Install MEE6 on your Discord server. You’ll need to configure its settings to enable the message management feature.
- Go to the MEE6 dashboard and select your server from the list.
- In the “Plugins” tab, enable the “Moderator” plugin by clicking on the switch.
With MEE6 configured, you can now use the !clear command to remove messages in a text channel.
How to clear a Discord chat with MEE6
- Open Discord and navigate to the server and text channel you want to clear.
- Type “!clear [number]” in the chat, where [number] is the number of messages you want to delete (e.g., !clear 100 to delete the last 100 messages). Press “Enter” to send the command.
MEE6 will then delete the specified number of messages, including the command message itself. But note that the maximum number of messages that can be deleted at once is 100.
And that’s it! Now you can easily delete your server chat.
You may want to keep reading how to make an announcement channel on Discord.